About Denver Metro Forensics
Denver Metro Forensics, Inc. was formed to provide services and education in forensic metrology, vehicular collision reconstruction and forensic video analysis. Mr. Voitel brings over 32 years of experience as a Law Enforcement Officer to Denver Metro Forensics. During his law enforcement career, he also worked for a forensic engineering firm. To date, Mr. Voitel has investigated over 2,300 traffic collisions and assisted with crime scene investigations as well. He has testified as an expert witness in both criminal and civil proceedings in local, state, and federal courts.
TILO D. VOITEL
3D Forensic Metrologist
Forensic Video Analyst
Mr. Voitel also has extensive experience in the 3D documentation and analysis of crime and traffic scenes. This includes the post—processing of 2D and 3D data captured from drones, video cameras, 3D scanners and others. These data sets have subsequently been used to analyze critical incidents and create animations and visualizations to assist during investigations and eventually trial proceedings if necessary.
As a result of his investigations, training and experience, Mr. Voitel has testified in both criminal and civil court and has been recognized as an expert since 2001.
Services we provide
Mr. Voitel has extensive experience performing traffic collision investigations throughout the United States. He also has extensive experience in the 3D documentation and analysis of crime and traffic scenes. This includes the post—processing of 2D and 3D data captured from drones, video cameras, 3D scanners and others.
Mr. Voitel has extensive experience performing traffic collision investigations throughout the United States. His hands-on investigative experience includes inspections of hundreds of vehicles and collision scenes. Mr. Voitel’s experience includes:
- Traffic Signal Timing (experienced in analyzing signal timing reports)
- Public Transportation Vehicle Collisions (taxis, buses, light rail)
- Emergency Vehicle Collisions (police, fire and ambulance responding to an emergency)
- Pedestrian Collision Investigation
- Visibility Testing (nighttime visibility, visibility obstruction by house, fence, bushes, sun glare, sun position, etc.)
- CDR and HV EDR Data Analyses
Contact us for information on the availability of training on these topics
3D Laser Scanning Certification Course (Operator/Technologist/Analyst)
FARO Zone (Advanced User Course for Crash or Crime Users)
Partial list of Publications that we’ve been involved with:
- Liscio E, Le Q, Rider R, Voitel T., Accuracy of Linear Measurements using Google Maps in FARO Zone 3D for Forensic Reconstruction of Outdoor Scenes. J Assoc Crime Scene Reconstr. 2021;25:11-23.
- Terpstra T, Owens T, Hashemian A, Voitel T., Depth Mapping Accuracy Evaluation of the Microsoft Kinect v2 Motion Capture Sensor. J Assoc Crime Scene Reconstr. 2021;25:1-10.
- Terpstra, T., Voitel, T., Hashemian, A., “A Survey of Multi-View Photogrammetry Software for Documenting Vehicle Crush.” SAE, Paper 2016-01-1475. Detroit, MI. (2016).
- Terpstra, T., Neale, W.T.C.,Owens, T., King, E., Bier S., Voitel, T., “An Analysis of Body-Worn Camera Photogrammetry Using Depth Mapping.” Proceedings of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, 73rdAnnual Scientific Meeting, Held Virtually. 2021. C21.
- Terpstra T, Hashemian A, Voitel T, Priest J. A Comparison of Metrology Used in Documenting Shooting Incident Trajectories. J Assoc Crime Scene Reconstr. 2020;24:23-42.